Wednesday, May 21, 2014

First Time as Toastmaster of the Evening!

Wow - yesterday was my first time as Toastmaster!
What an experience, it was really great, I learned a lot, got an adrenaline rush of the finest degree, and enjoyed it very very much.
I think I even liked it better than giving a prepared speech.

Some things I learned:

  1. Check your wardrobe out weeks before the date.
    1. On the day of my appearance, I discovered the pants to my suit did not fit anymore(!) -- nice discovery. I had to keep my jacket buttoned the whole time. Unfortunately I didn't take any video.
  2. Only button the top button of the jacket/Sakko/blazer -- thanks Norbert!
  3. Make sure that the voting boxes/cups get passed to the vote counter!


Take risks:
I'm glad I took a chance and did the James Bond theme, it came across rather well. Then I was going to skimp and not integrate the music, but I'm glad I risked that too. Some people said the music bugged them while they were filling out the feedback, so now I learned from that too. Also, I need to appoint a music-master or have some kind of remote control or blue-tooth arrangement so that I can play the songs easier and on cue.

Not only did the James Bond theme come across well, but I think it's totally appropriate for Toastmasters. Toastmasters is about self-improvement and breaking barriers right? What better person to emulate than a secret agent, driven, motivated and ready to kill... the predator instinct -- unlock it in yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment